Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is very restless and seems confused. When she's looking

Customer Question

She is very restless and seems confused. When she's looking at is it's like she's looking through us and we're not there
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She is very restless and seems confused. She gets her head back and forth from side to side almost as if she's looking for something
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Macie is 5. She is a Staffordshire Terrier
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macie?
Customer: She started with an episode of the same behavior at 5:30 this morning where she just stood up in the bed and started acting Restless I thought she had to vomit so I made her get off of my bed and nothing happened so then I thought she had to use the bathroom so I let her out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described a change in the mentation (mental status) of Macie indicating encephalopathy (brain disorder). Shifting her head back and forth can also indicate a loss of visual acuity. Macie may be having complex seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) and/or demonstrating evidence of either intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as brain tumor or extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating her brain. May I have an update on Macie, please?