Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

2 year old Maltese mix. Swollen lymphnodes in neck, groin

Customer Question

2 year old Maltese mix. Swollen lymphnodes in neck, groin and hind. Lab results negative for cancer. Lymphnodes abscsess through skin, expressing blood and pus. Dog weak and lethargic. Has appetite and is drinking more than usual amounts of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with you question.

It sounds like your dog has multiple swollen lymph nodes.... the number one concern with multiple swollen lymph nodes is definitely cancer. It sounds like your dog was tested and it was negative for cancer. If the test was done with a needle aspirate then I might repeat the test with a biopsy just to be sure.

Other than cancer, multiple lymph node enlargement is usually from a systemic infection. In some areas fungal infections can be a cause. I would check with your veterinarian to see if you live in an area where fungal infections are possible. If not, then other systemic infections include bacterial, heart worm, lyme disease. Your veterinarian will need to run more tests to try to find the problem.

In the mean time, your dog should be in the hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics. Has your veterinarian recommended hospitalization? If not, I would ask him about it. If they are not able to hospitalize your dog then they can likely recommend some place that can do it.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If not, please dont' forget to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This dog named Ruby was hospitalized at the first onset of this condition. High fever was noted and mastitis was suspected. Ruby was hospitalized overnight with intravenous antibiotic and fluids and was released with antibiotic and pain medication. Cancer had neen ruled out and decision was made to start seroid trreatment. The cause remains a mystery as Ruby continues to suffer as we try to keep her comfortable. Key issues are bursted lymph nodes on abdomen mandible and back of leg with most other nodes thru out body are swollen.

That is very unusual.... there are infections that can do this, but they are rare. Things like fungal infections, tularemia, plague... all very rare. Your veterinarian should really send un a culture from the abscess to identify what kind of infection is in there. That is likely the only way you are going to know what is causing it and what to treat it with. I have only seen lymph nodes abscess and drain like that twice. Once it was cancer and the other time it was a fungal infection. So a biopsy and culture for fungal and bacterial organisms is very important.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Stacy. Per your advice, saught additional diagnoses/treatment. . Ruby is responding to steroids is approx. 80% recovered. She's my brother's dog and I haven't learned the diagnosis. I'll be back for further advice as needed.
Thanks again.
Patrick