Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She has a large lump on her side it had came open and some

Customer Question

she has a large lump on her side it had came open and some white stuff came out of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sarah she is going to be 13 in January
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sarah?
Customer: it was bleeding and it is oozing
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. A lot of times when a lump on the skin opens up and white stuff comes out and it bleeds some, it is a sebaceous cyst. Basically those are glands that get blocked up and the secretions collect under the skin for a period of time and then sometimes find a weak area and then drain. Any chance you can post a picture of it?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i dont have a way to post one right now i can post one tomorrow though
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it looks like the flesh poped through the skin some like an inch area
it did bleed quite a bit
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

From that description, a sebaceous cyst is absolutely my number one rule out. These will recur as the sebaceous (excretory) component is still there. For the most part, they can rupture every now and then and make a mess and they are a cosmetic issue.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what should i do
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

Clean up the area with a warm, damp wash cloth and don't let him lick the area. Getting him checked over by your vet when you can to make sure that this is what it is would be the next best thing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
how should i cover it so the dogs dont lick it
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

If he can wear a small shirt that would be good. The other thing is an E-collar.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
whats a e collar
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 15 days ago.

Sorry about not explaining that. It is a term I use every day numerous times so I just assume everyone knows it. It is the lampshade like collar that is worm by dogs and cats to provide a barrier so they can chew / lick at things on their body.