Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I have a 2 year old English Bulldog who was attack by a pit

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old English Bulldog who was attack by a pit bull on Friday. Winston (bull dog) was told by Vet that we should take to Columbus due he has a rupture right ear drum and may loose his hearing and he needs to have his ear rinse out due to the infection. Can you tell me what is your procedure treat this problem? ***** ********@******.*** Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the English bulldog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Winston. What surgery, how will he have to stay and treatment process.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon Sharon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If the ear drum is ruptured, this is the thin membrane that separates the outer ear from the middle and inner ear, this will allow infection to enter the middle ear and possibly the inner ear. The treatment for this is an ear flush using antibiotics under anesthesia along with the oral and/or injectable antibiotics to guard against infection. The ear drum, Sharon, will eventually heal on its own but without this more invasive approach, this infection could cause hearing loss.

My only surprise, Sharon, is that your vet is not able to do this is done in many general practice veterinary hospitals but your vet may not be comfortable with this procedure.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What is the cost for the procedure and will he have to stay overnight

This all depends on the surgeon and area. Most vets will keep your sweet Winston overnight so they can keep him on IV antibiotics overnight and monitor his vitals after the procedure. In my clinic, this would cost around $500 but could be more if taken to a teaching or specialty hospital. Ask for an estimate prior to booking the procedure so you know.