Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Are you here? ok my 10 year old maltipoo has had congestive

Customer Question

are you here?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: ok my 10 year old maltipoo has had congestive heart failure she was diagnosed furosemide and enalapril
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: recently, saturday, she tried standing up in excitement fell on her back and peed immediately on the floor and screeched in pain brought her to our vet saw nothing was wrong with her ribs, back and such and starting sunday she started to vomit her food and refused anything but water last night, she was sleeping next to me on my bed and she jumped off the bed around 5am i turned the lights on to see diarhea on the floor
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she started to refuse food sunday therefore she stopped taking her regular medication
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of the rough last few days for your dog and you. Thank you for the thorough history you provided. I'll comment on it as you presented it.

Her falling was likely to have frightened her causing her vocalizing and urinating. It sounds as if her vet ruled out serious injury to her. However, there now appears to be a nonspecific gastroenteritis that has resulted in her anorexia. If the only method of medicating her has been through her food, we need to find an alternative manner in which to do so lest her congestive heart failure recrudesces (relapses without cure in between events) and becomes life-threatening.

I would hospitalize such a patient and administer her drugs by needle. While hospitalized, she would be kept well-hydrated by intravenous administration of fluids and electrolytes and parenteral feeding provided so she didn't become malnourished. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests would be performed in an attempt to clarify why her vomiting and diarrhea arose. Additional treatment would then be predicated upon the findings in such diagnostics.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.