Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My four pound chi is having trouble with one of his eyes. He

Customer Question

My four pound chi is having trouble with one of his eyes. He seems to be photosensitive. There is no drainage, weeping, itchiness, or goo. He does not rub on it at all. He just closes it when we are outside. He is on pulse amoxi for an exposed penis tip, a condition for which he had a failed surgery. He is currently taking 62 mgs 2x daily. I have some tobrex 3percent drops at home. Would this med be appropriate for him? He will be fifteen in January, but his bloodwork is always normal. He is developing mega-esophagus.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since there is no drainage, this is probably not caused by an infection or other opthamology issues common in older dogs. Most likely, this behavior is due to a photosensitivity that is neurologic in nature. This could be from a primary brain issue or liver disease which both cause neurologic signs. This has nothing to do with his other issues although the mega espophagus can be neurologic as well indicating that your sweet Little Man will require a Veterinary Neurologist to examine his eyes to determine the cause and treatment. Your vet can refer you to one in your area or go to the state veterinary association and they will tell you where to find one.

It will not hurt to continue the Tobrex drops until Little Man can be examined since this is an antibiotic to guard against infection.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Man. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta