Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

How are you, my dog pooped this morning and the stool was

Customer Question

Hi how are you, my dog pooped this morning and the stool was cold, brown/yellow in color, very dry, and had a sandy appearance. He has been pooping this way for a few days. Hasn't been outside so eating dirt is out of the question.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wilbur, 6 year old Beagle/Sharpei mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wilbur?
Customer: no, everything else checks out.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My worry for Wilbur is that he appears to be dehydrated. This will cause this cold , hard stool that has a sandy appearance. The yellow color is not a concern since this is usually caused by bile in the stool which can be normal. I would not worry tooo much about Wilbur since he is healthy other than this minor sign. I would recommend giving him 5 cc of Pedialyte every 4 - 6 hrs which will help keep him hydrated with extra electrolytes. For some reason, his body is not taking in enough fluids and this may be normal for him or it could indicate a kidney issue. If this continues, I would recommend that you have blood work done on Wilbur just to be safe.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****