Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I think my west high land terrier has been stung by a bee

Customer Question

I think my west high land terrier has been stung by a bee she is distressed panting I have given her an antihistamine her tail is tucked firmly between her leg she is obviously in discomfort
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What antihistamine did you give? What dose?

What does Boots weigh?

Where was she stung?

Any breathing issues?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She was stung on her tail gave her 5 mg of anti histamine she weighs approximately 4 kilos .. She is slightly better but in discomfort
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She is panting otherwise fine her tail is tucked into her body
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Thank you,

You didn't note what type of antihistamine you have used, was it Chlorphenamine, Cetirizine, or Loratadine? ,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It was priotine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Goodness are we playing tag despite being in the same time zone. Anyway, I assume you mean Piriton which tends to be chlorphenamine. If that is what you have it can be used up to a dose of 8mg every 8-12 hours. Otherwise, we could cool compress the sting and apply a paste of bicarbonate of soda to counter the bee's venom. If course, I'd these signs done settle in 24 hours, her vet can give a long acting steroid injection to do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.
Hi Vanessa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boots. How is everything going?

Dr. B.