Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Can you please help me? I have a 6 month old puppy, he was

Customer Question

Can you please help me? I have a 6 month old puppy, he was neutered on 9/7/16, and given rabies and a flea/tick treatment on the same day. Since then, he has been sneezing, goopy eyes, stiff joints, lameness in front paws, swollen joints, high fever, I have taken him to the vet 4 times, who ran a variety of blood tests, xrays, they put him on Doxycyclin, and Fluconozole, 2 doses, he continues to decline! Currently he is at a 24 hour ER for dogs, and other than pain meds, and steroid shots, they can't cure him. they have done chest xray, and more blood work, and today continue to run another panel of blood work and want to do a joint tap, to test the fluids in his joints to see why they are swelling. Please help, I don't know what else to do, and running out of Credit cards to continue guessing at what is wrong. They keep saying it may not be a bacterial or fungal infection, but immune based, but don't offer any idea on how to treat this??
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Do you know if they tested him for tick transmitted diseases? Usually they would run a tick panel.

What about a fungal serology?