Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog appears to have equal swelling on each side in

Customer Question

Hey, my dog appears to have equal swelling on each side in between his front and back legs. He is 6 years old and has epilypsy and a heart murmur. he is keen to go for a walk and is pooing and urinating fine, but is equally keen to come back home which he never used to be so keen? It's nit a visible lump and when you stroke him you can feel swelling in each side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He is taking epiphan for his epilypsy, sorry not sure how to spell it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because most things appear normal, this swelling may be edema caused by heart disease. This fluid is building up in this area due to gravity and can be a common manifestation of heart disease with fluid build up. This build up is causing him enough discomfort that he does not want to walk far and if this is caused by his heart decompensating, the heart disease is getting worse and may require medication at this point. I would strongly recommend that you have your vet examine your guy as soon as possible to rule out heart disease and other factors that could cause this such as an abscess growing in this area.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta