Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sunday night my dog ate a disposable razor. He is acting

Customer Question

sunday night my dog ate a disposable razor. He is acting nomal except he hasnt had a good bowel movement. He. Will eate when we put his food out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: Not that u ūüĎĆ ow of Know of..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was it swallowed whole or chewed so the sharp metal edges may be exposed?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

You noted issues with his stools, is he passing any at all? Straining? Passing blood or black material?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A very small one monday morning he went as normal
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will say that he is about 98 pounds which is overweight for him I was thinking of giving him some pumpkin and bread if you think that's a good idea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that the stool was fairly normal if a bit small, since black stool would be a sign of gut bleeding and something we do need to watch out for here with Rocky. That said, his small stool does suggest that we may have a partial obstruction from this razor. Therefore we do need to encourage this to pass. To start, since he ate this days ago, bread won't be of much aid. Instead in these cases, we tend to put them onto small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, do also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage, we can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye on Rocky. If we can get this passed and those stools normal, we are happy. Though if we don't in the next 24 hours, if you see any of those other signs or want to err on the side of caution, then having him examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate were this is caught and if we can get it passed without surgery.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much mineral oil should i give him
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

You can start with 2-5 ml per meal but you can increase this to effect since there is no hard and fast dosing for this (since the gut doesn't actually absorb it).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )