Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Second opinion] - about two mouths ago i noticed my 14 year

Second opinion] - about two mouths ago i noticed my 14 year old Chihuahua mix was losing weight he was eating good i gave him word meds that i got from pet smart it was a powder and was giving in three different doses he started gaining weight about a week ago i noticed he was looking swollen he looks like he could pop open he is very tight in abdomen he still walks around normal eats good he is getting arthritis but still does pretty good what do think the swelling could be thks mhj

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Chihuahua. His tight abdomen could be from an enlarged internal organ, such as his liver. It could also be fluid in his abdomen which can be from a heart condition, or low blood protein. Another possibility is a tumor, since he is older.

I would have him examined and possibly have an Xray taken to find out why he has this swelling.

If you check his gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

Let me know how he is doing and if you have any other questions for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will let you no

Can I help with or answer anything else? Was this helpful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will try to get a pic of his gums if he has one of the conditions you mentioned such as a liver, tumor ,or fluid prob can that be corrected when would he start showing it this time he acts normal he has been like this for about a mouth now if it some thing serious i am thinking about going ahead and have him put to sleep since he is so old

Some of these conditions can be treated. You need to find out what is wrong, to know how to treat it. I would start with a thorough physical exam by your veterinarian.

How is your Chihuahua doing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
had to put boo down they said heart failure said he had a heart murmur said i could by a little time by draining the fluid does this right to you also he had heart worms about 4 years ago got that cleared up do you think that could be part of the problem of heart failure problem

I am so sorry to hear about Boo. My sincere condolences.

Draining the fluid does buy a little time, sometimes a week, sometimes only a day and then you have to drain it again.

If he recovered from heartworm and has been heartworm negative for 4 years, it may not have been the reason for his heart problems, but since he is a small dog the worms might have left enough damage in his heart and lungs that it did contribute. It is not uncommon for older Chihuahuas to develop heart disease, without ever having had heartworms.

My sincere condolences. Thank you for letting me know.

Thank you for the good rating. I am so sorry about Boo.