Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Is there another way to treat calcium oxalate bladder stones

Customer Question

Is there another way to treat calcium oxalate bladder stones in dog beside surgery. Or do you know of anyone who can help low income surgery. In Medford Oregon. He just recovered from a stroke and I don't want to put him through surgery if there is any other way..i need my service dog.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 16 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Typically with calcium oxalate stones, surgery is required. In some cases with very small stones, it may be possible to remove them from the bladder without surgery though this is fairly rare. There also exists the potential to use ultrasonic waves to break up the stones and allow them to be flushed from the body. In any case, a therapeutic diet should be started to keep the dog from producing more stones. There is no inexpensive method of treatment here, but below are some options for financial assistance.

Red Rover:

Best friends:

Your dogs friend:

Speaking for Spot:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion?