jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

My 100 lb golden retriever ate some mouse bait in a protecta

Customer Question

My 100 lb golden retriever ate some mouse bait in a protecta mouse bait station. It's a light green granular bait. I just found out that she ate about 2 tablespoons worth about 5 hours ago. She isn't exhibiting any abnormal signs other than being more awake than she would be normally at this hour as well as panting. She's been playful.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzy. 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzy?
Customer: Not at this time
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

There are two types of poisons. One type is an anticoagulant and causes your dog to start bleeding from different areas such as nose, rectum, penis, etc. The other type causes an increase in thirst, frequent urination, vomiting, weakness, muscle twitching, seizures and eventually death. Symptoms do not appear immediately but from 18 hours to several days later. If it is an anticoagulant, your vet may prescribe vitamin K to help offset the action of the rodentcide.

You will need to get your dog to vomit if it has been within 4 hours and then get your dog to the vet immediately. If you can not get your dog to vomit, go immediately to the vet. Since it has been 5 hours, use this information if it should happen again.

You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Instructions on dosage can be found here:

If you do not know of an emergency vet, you may be able to find one on this site.

More information can be found here

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 13 days ago.

Following up to see how Izzy is doing? Did you get her seen and treatment started? I hope you found my answer helpful.