Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He's been sick throwing up clear liquid with grass for for a

Customer Question

he's been sick throwing up clear liquid with grass for for a couple of days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: i wanted to give him pepto the pills he weights around 15 lbs
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: not that I'm aware of he is a yorkie homer fat boy and he's around 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I'm?
Customer: no i don't think so
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

I am sorry to learn Homer is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How long since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1- no not that i know of
2- no he's full of energy
3- around 15 lb.
4- this morning around 5
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
drinking yes, eating not really , he will eat but dosent seem to care either way
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

1- How many time has he vomited?

2- To make sure I got this right, last time he vomited was at 5 a.m. and since then he has been drinking and no vomiting, correct?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he's been doing this for about 4 days now
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
its like a couple times a day he vomits or dry heaves
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

Is there a specific time when he vomits?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no just random
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your patience and answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 days ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. You see, Pepto Bismol has sub-salicylate which is not good for the patient that is vomiting. Instead, start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

Note: Do not let him eat grass.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter