How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27768
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a small bag of candy. There was a few mini

Customer Question

My dog just ate a small bag of candy. There was a few mini chocolate candies in there. M&m's, snickers, almond joy, whoppers,wrappers is what I found. Don't really know how much chocolate. It was with the last three hours this occurred. She seems fine. Should I just watch her for the symptoms or take her into emergency care? She is around 30 lbs.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
1- checking
2- 33 lbs
3- no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
we have hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

One last question, did she also eat the wrappers or bag?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Some of the wrappers were left as evidence. I think there were some kisses in there too,, no foil wrappers in sight. There was a few mini chocolate bars but skittles and gummies too. The bag with which the candy in was just ripped up.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

Kimberly, not knowing the type or amount of chocolate she ate it will not be possible for me to calculate a toxic dose, I am sorry. In general, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life-threatening like seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, I would have her checked by ER veterinarian, they can try to induce vomiting with a medication called apomorphine and start her on activated charcoal.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter