Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My shitzu rat terrier mix is 10 years old and has started

Customer Question

My shitzu rat terrier mix is 10 years old and has started having the shakes and messing in the which he has never done before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: He seems like he has lost some weight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Please describe these shakes. Are you seeing loss of consciousness? How often do they happen? Loss of control of the bowels during this time?

2) Are you seeing bowel evacuation in the house? Urine? Fecal? Both?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No loss of consciousness. He acts like he is cold. Not all the time. No urination just fecal matter. He seems like he can't control bowels

Has he been evaluated by your vet for these concerns? How is his activity level otherwise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No to my vet. He is fine otherwise

The shaking you're seeing is often linked to discomfort which may indicate age-related arthritis or a similar condition. It can also be a sign of mild seizure activity. I would have him evaluated to determine which and if any treatment is needed.

Along with this, it would be wise to have his stool evaluated microscopically by your vet as well to be sure that there is not an underlying intestinal parasite or protozoan that may be causing the accidents in the home. Sometimes in senior dogs who are uncomfortable, such as those with unmanaged arthritis, they will avoid going outside and void in the house.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?