Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 13 yr old Min Pin was diagnosed with a tumor in her chest

Customer Question

My 13 yr old Min Pin was diagnosed with a tumor in her chest and only 2 to 3 months to live. The vet put her on Prednisone. My vet did no other test. My dog now has panting and a bloated belly after 6wks on the prednison. She also has a lemon size hematoma under the skin on her left side.. Thinking of taking her for a second opion. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about now?
Customer: Yes she has hookworms I have been unable to get rid of.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 14 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hookworms should be simple to get rid of, especially if you are using a monthly dewormer. If this has not already been done, talk to your vet about filling a prescription for a dewormer you can use every 2-4 weeks until she has a clear stool sample. Monthly heart worm prevention can also do the job of deworming against hooks and make the treatment effective. Often we have to keep a dog on treatment if they're in an environment that is heavily infested with hookworm eggs or they're picking them up constantly and the infestation continues as a cycle.

If nothing else, a recheck would be wise. It sounds like she has developed two fairly common symptoms of steroid usage:

1) Chronic panting
2) Cushings-related or cushingoid symptoms

More info here:
and here:

Bloodwork and an examination would be indicated at this time, along with the second opinion.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?