Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 11 year old husky who is normally alert and full of

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old husky who is normally alert and full of energy. Yesterday after his morning walk he became very disoriented and restless. Although he continued to lay down he was not himself. He does seem to be in any great discomfort but is not interested in eating or drinking. For the most part of today he just wants to lay on the deck in the sun. He did have a large pee around 5:30 a.m and a bowel moment around 9:30 a.m.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the husky. What is the husky's name?
Customer: Mocha.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mocha?
Customer: His current behavior is not normal and I am concerned that there is something seriously wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mocha. Can you please elaborate on "disoriented"? Is he ataxic ("drunken sailor"), confused, not responding to you in a normal manner? Is his head tilted; do you see his eyes flicking back and forth (nystagmus)? Does he aimlessly wander, hug the walls, or stare into corners?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mocha is confused - he stands up and looks straight ahead. When he lays down he tilts his head for a while and then stretches out. When he walks around he is very slow and it appears he is thinking about where to go next. His eyes are not as alert as usual. The only time he responded was when my friend came to the house this morning. She usually takes him for a walk with her dog on Saturdays and Sundays. He wanted to go so we took him out for a short walk. He was very slow and the tail was dragging.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for the additional information. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Mocha is showing signs of encephalopathy - brain disorder. These can be intracranial (within the skull) such as brain tumor as well as extracranial (outside the skull) such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating his brain. Mochas's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurological exam on Mocha including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. In nothing untoward shows up, MRI will be recommended.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?