Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog sounds like she it congested. We thought she was

Customer Question

My dog sounds like she it congested. We thought she was having an episode of reverse sneezing, but it seems more as though when she becomes hyper or runs a lot she starts having trouble. This morning she just sounded really congested. I just had her annual vaccines and kennel cough on Oct. 3
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shilah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shilah?
Customer: Don't think so
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

How old is Shilah?

Any changes to her breathing rate?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Was her vaccination for kennel cough an injectable one or up her nose?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She started showing symptoms this past Thurs.
She is four years old
Her breathing seems fine
Her gums are normal
No nasal discharge
Kennel cough was up her nose
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that she hasn't those other signs I asked about. Though given the time frame, I'd be most suspicious that Shilah has developed a mild kennel cough flare-up after her vaccination (just as we can get a mild flu after a flu jab). Therefore, we'd want to start some supportive care to reduce her congestion and help her immune system settle this.

To start, you can consider steam treating her. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any material that may be accumulating in the nasal passages. Alternatively, you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often dogs don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam rooms’ with her in a small room or big dog carrier with the humidifier near by (you can put a sheet over the crate and humidifier to better focus the steam).

Another option for trying to clear the nasal passages and reduce congestion would be to use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated). To do so, tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a dog favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, this does sound like a mild flare-up in response to the vaccination she had. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to help her here. Though if her signs progress or don't settle in the next few days, then you may want to ring her vet for antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories and decongestants to soothe this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )