Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

She is 13, has had a loss of appetite for almost 3 weeks

Customer Question

she is 13, has had a loss of appetite for almost 3 weeks now. She has diareha and vomits. Took her to the vet, her kidneys are ok. I don't have money for alot of testing. She has lost 11 pounds. Sheltie.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Sheltie eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we are aware of, but she does go outside with us and of course runs around the yard.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sheltie?
Customer: Our dog is a sheltie, my name is Cindy :)
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Vet assumed she has a uti, so I have been giving her pepcid and an antibiotic, per their instruction, twice a day. She seemed to rally the following day for a day or so, but has now gotten worse to where I can't get her to eat anything at all. She has not eaten for about 36 hours, but does still go to her water bowl and drinks. Then she throws up.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning Cindy and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry, Cindy, that it has taken me so long to answer your question. I fear that your sweet gal is suffering from either IBD or Inflammatory Bowel Disease or an intestinal lymphoma or other cancer lesion. I say this because, even though all parameters are normal, she is still not wanting to eat. This is very difficult to diagnose without invasive surgery to get biopsy specimens so the only thing you can do now is to help her remain hydrated and keeping her nutrition up. Give your gal Nutrical, available at the pet store, a dose every 4 hrs. This will also act as an appetite stimulant and if she is not eating for some other reason, this will help. I would also recommend, Cindy, that you give your gal 2-3 cc of Pedialyte every 4-6 hrs. This will keep her hydrated with the proper amount of electrolytes that she will require to fight what ever is causing this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta