Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She is peeing uncontrollably in her sleep. what can i do for

Customer Question

she is peeing uncontrollably in her sleep. what can i do for this? he is an 11 year old yellow lab.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chloe?
Customer: she is not eating
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chloe. In the majority of cases such urinary incontinence is due to a urethral incompetence - weak urethral musculature - and will respond to drugs that tighten up those muscles. I'm concerned, however, that she's not eating. That brings into play conditions that increase thirst and then volume of urine which her bladder isn't used to accommodating. Urinary tract infection involving her kidneys is a good example of a condition that not only can increase thirst and volume of urine but also cause her to feel poorly enough to stop eating.

Chloe's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours how best to manage Chloe's incontinence and anorexia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?