Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Pug is 12 yrs old he isnt eating and when he does eat he

Customer Question

My Pug is 12 yrs old he isnt eating and when he does eat he vomits. He hasnt pooped in a few days. he is drinking a lot of water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your pug eat anything unusual?
Customer: No he hasn
JA: What is the pug's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: No he has been healthy his entire life
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Is Lucky able to keep water down, or is he vomiting that too?

Is he urinating more than usual?

How long has this been going on?

Has he been losing weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot. this has been since Friday he seems to be losing weight
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I understand that he isn't passing much stool. That makes sense because if he vomits most or all of what he eats there won't be any ingesta to make stool.

He is likely dehydrated because he has been vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting at this age include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease or diabetes), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. Since he is an older fellow then an abdominal mass is also a possible cause. A mass could also place pressure on his stomach making him feel full, and thus not want to eat.

His drive to drink water may be due to dehydration because he has vomited so much, but I am concerned that it is more likely due to organ failure or possible internal bleeding from a mass.

Because he is an older guy that is vomiting even water ideally he would see a veterinarian now.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully get his appetite back. They can be given as needed for several days.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs veterinary care.

But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly, or an enlarged abdomen, or if he continues to refuse to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on Lucky, thank you, ***** *****