Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is panting lying on the floor. Has vomited once and

My dog is panting lying on the floor. Has vomited once and urinated and had several normal looking BM

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I can imagine a sudden drop in blood pressure as is seen with an anaphylactic reaction to an envenomation, food allergy, vaccination, or drug. I need you to check his vital signs for me, please...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His gums are whitish
His is breathing 56 breaths per minute
99.6 temp

Uh oh. I'm afraid that he's in trouble...he appears to be shocky. Do you have a 24 hour facility you can bring him to? He needs the attention of an on-call vet at your earliest convenience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything we can do for him to keep him comfortable at home and what could be the cause of this

I'm concerned that he requires critical care at this time. You can only keep him warm - his temperature is subnormal. Anaphylaxis as I mentioned above and causes of anemia need to considered - a bleeding tumor in his abdomen, red blood cell destruction as seen with autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA), and an anticoagulant rodenticide (d-CON, e.g.) poisoning, are all considerations in such a patient.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We brought him in as fast as we could and he passed on the table. They said it was prob a tumor the bled into his abdomen. Thank you for your time. ��

My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.