Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 15 year old poodle who is well taken care of has over

Customer Question

our 15 year old poodle who is well taken care of has over the last two weeks had a yellowish pussy discharge with an acrid smell near his penis. he licks this material. I have read some literature on line and I assume off we go to the vet for some anti biotics? more advice and insight please. k
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: jasper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about jasper?
Customer: great health. eating well and urinating and defecating properly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Jasper has this discharge. Yes it would be advised to have a veterinary exam as this sounds like a distal urinary tract infection and if not treated it can ascend into the bladder and even the kidneys and cause further distress for Jasper.

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (no salt broth or maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the risk of progression of the infection.

In addition, please use a baby wipe to clean the area frequently. In particular after urination because we want to minimize his licking which introduces oral bacteria to the area and can exacerbate this infection.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine why this is occurring.

Your vet will run a urinalysis and potentially a urine culture to look for bacteria

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope Jasper is doing better today? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!