Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Yorkie jumped off the chair. Has been limping for 4days,

Customer Question

Yorkie jumped off the chair. Has been limping for 4days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing visible
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pixie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pixie?
Customer: About a year old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear about Pixie. The primary concerns are a patellar luxation or a cruciate tear with her breed and symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for drawer or movement which cannot be done without an experienced hand versus the kneecap floating which palpates very differently. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this condition

Here is more information on cruciate tears in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/ruptured-cranial-cruciate-ligament-in-dogs

And for patellar luxations:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/medial-patella-luxation-in-dogs

Until you are able to have an evaluation, please limit activity as much as you are able. Rotate warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals, and massage from toes to hip and back down again frequently to stimulate blood flow therefore healing

Until examined please lift to go potty and leash only to minimize running and jumping which can cause further injury.

I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!