Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been limping for the past day and her lower right

Customer Question

my dog has been limping for the past day and her lower right paw seems a bit swollen. She does to seem to have anything in her paw or any cuts or abrasions...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no bleeding at all
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: arleen, 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about arleen?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Arleen exclusively indoors?

Can you post a picture of her swollen paw?

When did this start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no, we had to leave our home due to hurricane matthew so she is in a new home/yard for the past three days. she is a mostly indoor dog but does go out for bathroom and walks everyday. it started yesterday.

Is she favoring it? Licking? Painful?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is licking at it a bit. she is favoring it and try not to put any wright on it. you can't really tell in the pic as it is only mildly swollen

It will be hard to know without any obvious signs of issue what has caused this. I can give you some directions to try to help with discomfort and swelling, but if she is not greatly improved by tomorrow morning I would have her examined. If she is not on any other medication, you can try aspirin. The dosage is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/
Because she is licking, she may also benefit from antihistamines in the event that this might have been kicked off by allergies. My favorite for dogs is Zyrtec: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?