Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

We have had her to our vet twice, he has given her allergy

We have had her to our vet twice, he has given her allergy meds the first time and baytril the second time which was a wk and a half ago, she will not eat even ham today and she acts so tired, kinda looks swollen in her abdomen and a little labored breathing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie and she is 6 year old Great Dane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: That's about it Maggie is 7 yrs old, I made a mistake about her age. She did have a bowel movement today and she has been tested for all parasites which she doesn't have any, she is on trifexis every month

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Maggie is so sick tonight. First I am going to ask a few more questions to get a better picture of what is going on with her-

-can you look at her gums? What color are they? They should be a nice medium pink color.

-can you take her temperature? Does she have a fever?

-is her belly swollen and soft or is it very hard?

-what allergy medications did your vet prescribe?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you today,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Belly is soft, gums are pink, no temp. She is grumbling a lot, like every time she gets up or moves

Okay. Did she have extra exercise today?

Could she have gotten into anything like the trash, plants, medications, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She won't excercise and no trash

Does she seem to be in pain anywhere? Common places are the neck and lower back in large breed dogs.

Also, abdominal pain is something to look for as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She did throw up yesterday yellowish bile

Does she seem to be in pain anywhere?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You ask me that already, sometimes seems uncomfortable sometimes but doesn't yell out or anything when I push around on her stomach area

What medications did your regular vet give her for allergies? Is she still taking them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She isn't on it any of it any more but it was, temaril

Okay, that is pretty mild stuff. It does have prednisone in it, but at a really low dose.

Do you have any dog pain medication at home?

Do you have a dog ER near you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No we don't have a dog ER near us, do you have any idea what this could be

I am wondering about pain.

We have ruled out some of the really bad things considering that she has pink gum color and a soft belly. (including tumor of the spleen, bloat, internal bleeding, etc)

Pancreatitis is high on the list as well, since she doesn't want to eat.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If she has pancreatitis, what does that entail

Usually supportive care such as anti-nausea medication, pain medication, fluids. Most dogs recover completely within days.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What causes that

It can be from a high fat meal, but it can also come from no where, with no inciting cause found.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you will be taking her back to the vet in the AM

Okay. That sounds good. I will be online for a few more hours if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would that make her breathing labored

Pain can cause increased breathing rate without being labored.

If her breathing is labored, that could be lung disease, like pneumonia, heart disease, lung cancer and other causes.