Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

She ate a tablespoon of joint compound, Nelly 10, Nope Gave

She ate a tablespoon of joint compound
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nelly 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nelly?
Customer: Nope Gave her a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to make her vomit

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Nelly ate the joint compound. What exactly is the joint compound? Is it the product used for drywall/sheet rock or is it a nutritional supplement for arthritis?

Next, did Nelly vomit yet? How much peroxide did you give? How much does Nelly weigh?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you today.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She did vomit. About 1.5 teaspoon of peroxide although some of the peroxide fell to floor. 11 pound dachshund.Drywall joint compound it was wet when she ingested it.Seems okay right now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am happy to take her to our vet

Okay. I am happy to hear that she vomited. That is the most important part of decontamination. Did you see the joint compound in the vomit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hard to tell it was really wet and gooey and white. The vomit is about the same.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White and frothy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
White and frothy vomit that is

Okay. How long after eating the joint compound did she vomit? A few minutes? 30 minutes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5 to 10 minutes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She had compound all over her nose and muzzle and had smeared some of it into the wall. Guessing she got some may not have gotten much at all so hard to tell really

Okay. I would suspect that most of the joint compound came up with the vomiting. You did the right thing by making her vomit right away.

I would consider, though, taking her to the ER tonight, just so they can also give her activated charcoal. This will bind up any of the adhesives that are remaining in her gut.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help tonight.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't think so... we did call our emergency vet who we have seen on and off through the years and they recommended to keep close eye. If issues tomorrow to bring in. Latherice, diarrhea etc

Okay, that sounds good. I'm glad you were able to contact them. I will be online most of the evening if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda