Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

20lb 10 month old italian greyhound/Chihuahua mix. Gave

Customer Question

20lb 10 month old italian greyhound/Chihuahua mix. Gave trifexis at 10am 560 mg. I gave my weimeriner her 1620 dose but she had not finished and when i turned around the little dog had finished. It is 530 here and about 2 hrs started a ting lethargic, odd, just wanting to sleep and tremoring and eels hot. No seizures. I did the math and he should be ok but I'm nervous
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Most of these flea medications are tested at many times the recommended dose to understand their toxicity profile. This is clearly an overdose for your little one, but unless she is exhibiting symptoms of illness, you are in good shape.

My primary concerns with Trifexis would be vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite.

I wouldn't expect seizures or tremors unless quite a bit more was ingested, or the pet simply was hypersensitive to the drug.

Of course, if you do observe any illness or she is truly having a persistent tremor, that is well worth a ER vet visit for supportive care.

Feels hot? You can take a rectal temperature with any digital thermometer. If over 103.0 when at rest, that would be worrisome and also warrant an ER vet visit.

Hope that information helps!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 days ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?