Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog started making this choking sound and gagging.

Customer Question

My dog started making this choking sound and gagging. Nothing comes up. I took to the vet thinking she had something caught in her throat. They put a scope down her and said that there was nothing there. They put on hydrocodone 5 mg/ml liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco 9 years old. The medicine is not helping. She seems fine. Eats and drinks well. Wants to play ball until she starts the hacking. She even does it when she is resting. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from her nose.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

There is something called a reverse sneeze where the dog sounds like they are choking or gagging on something in their throat because they seem to suck air in quickly and blow it out quickly.

The episode last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and subside on their own. They do come on suddenly.

This is thought to be aggravated by an allergy , sometimes to dust or pollen as people see this more with a change of seasons then the dog is back to normal. However if it is house dust that is the allergen then you may see it all year round.

I am going to direct you to a link /video of a dog going through this . Dogs may sound different in the way they respond to a reverse sneeze and some are more dramatic than others.

If Coco is a smaller breed then the possibility of a collapse trachea is also something to look into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Here is more on reverse sneezing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFXxq2Z7Bs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive