Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our dog is on medication for diarhea, 2 days, starting the

Customer Question

Our dog is on medication for diarhea, 2 days, starting the second day he is licking his butt. Can it be irritated from the diarrhea? Are there any safe wipes to use that would help relieve or stop him licking?!?!?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Korbyn.

It's certainly possible that he's licking his anal area because his colon is irritated. It's also possible that his anal glands are full and need to be emptied. This isn't something that I'd suggest you attempt but rather leave to either a groomer or veterinary technician but if you're interested in learning about them (if you're not familiar with them), the following link should be helpful: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

If his anals are full, then until they're emptied, he may continue to lick and be somewhat uncomfortable.

But to answer your specific question, non-medicated baby wipes can be used to clean this area on the off chance that any fecal material may be irritating it. You can also apply a small amount of human, otc cortisone ointment which may help to reduce any inflammation which is present.

Local pet or grain stores are also likely to carry sprays which have cortisone in them which may be helpful as well.

I hope this helps to provide several options for you to consider. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Korbyn. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb