Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

German shepard dog 2 years old persistant eye infection

Customer Question

german shepard dog 2 years old persistant eye infection severe drainage from corner of eye outdoor dog no health problems have tried a weak boric acid rinse,also terramycin
dog does not rub eye in any way dog appears ambivalent towards infection
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! He may rub when you are not monitoring him, something my GSD does sometimes when she thinks I am not monitoring her (she has Pannus). If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the discharge if this is an allergic component (and yes it can be just one eye) and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not an underlying issue that requires medical therapy such as pannus common in GSD, dry eye, entropion (an inverted eyelid irritating the eye), or a blocked tear duct that requires flushing.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman