Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 13 year old (spayed) yorkie's vaginal area is red and

Customer Question

Hi there, my 13 year old (spayed) yorkie's vaginal area is red and swollen. She is urinating, defecating, and eating ok. No excessive licking to the area. Just wondering if I should put triple ABT or a antifungal cream on it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Priscilla
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Priscilla?
Customer: No other issues. She is otherwise healthy for an older girl
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 16 days ago.

I am working on a answer now.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Priscilla.

With redness, swelling, and excessive licking, this could suggest either a vaginitis or possible urinary tract infection.

If you apply a topical, she is simply going to lick it off. Definitely, this is well worth a vet visit. I would encourage at least a urine test to rule-out any bladder issues, very likely antibiotics to address the vaginitis concern, and probably a cone head to prevent the licking until the issue is resolved.

I don't think a topical will be of much benefit based on your description.

I'm sorry..just read no excessive licking. However, if "any" licking, the area must be protected. The licking will exacerbate the swelling that is present. Well worth a vet trip since systemic (internal) treatment will be necessary to help out.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 days ago.

I hope everything is going okay?
May I be of any further assistance?