How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16215
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Drank antifreeze, Drank antifreeze, No, No, Hasn't eaten

Customer Question

Drank antifreeze
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Drank antifreeze
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Hasn't eaten yet
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Misty, 4 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?

How much?

What does she weigh?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back but as this is so serious, I want to leave my thoughts in case you aren't able to reply.

Now we need to act fast since antifreeze is quickly absorbed and can cause fatal harm to the kidneys. Now in the first 30min-12 hours, we can see them appear as if drunk with wobbliness, drooling, GI upset, increased urination/thirst, and seizures. Though as time goes on, they can appear to settle but that is actually when the kidneys are damaged leading to failure

With this all in mind, we want to be proactive. To start, if she just had this you can induce vomiting just now by giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Afterwards, since this is so serious a toxin, we’d want her seen. There is an antidote (fompeizole) the vet can give to block the antifreeze toxin from harming the kidneys and IV fluids are usually also indicated to get this out of her system as quickly as possible. And that would be best to limit harm and keep her from fatal kidney failure with this. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )