Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is not eating or drinking and breath smells. She is a

Customer Question

my dog is not eating or drinking and breath smells. She is a yorkie chichuuahua mix 2 1/2 lbs usually. Probably under 2 now. stubbling when waking. Her teeth are bad. Last Feb I wanted to get them worked on but vet did blood work and estimated she only had 2weeeks to 2 month due to kidney and liver problems but gave her antibiotics because he that her mough was infected. She has been fine until now, she is 14 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Petunia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petunia?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

What does her breath smell like? Pus/infection from her teeth, ammonia, or sweet like fruit?

Was she put onto any treatment for her liver and kidneys?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her breath is never good but this has progressed in a less than week. She was eating 2 days ago. her breath smells wretched-like vomit. Same smell as in February. the teeth appear brown she is hanging her tongue out some but I cannot do much to her. No gagging, vomiting, Never put on tx for liver or kidney based on her age. But obviously something was off if he upset me an told me he gave her 2 weeks. However her eating and mouth cleared with the antibiotics. My vet previously had Sat hours and II went yesterday but he was closed we are in SC- we had storm issues
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you there
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my kitchen actually stinks from her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I am and am typing my reply.

DR. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

The storms have been nightmare for that part of the world. So, do be safe there.

Now if her breath smells as it did in February, that does suggest that she has another oral infection present and potentially a tooth root abscess. And as a dental isn't possible for her, we'd really need her back to her vet as soon as we can for antibiotics to try to counter this for her. As well, it'd be ideal to discuss dog safe pain relief for her mouth but also liver/kidney supportive treatments (ie Milk thistle/Sam-E for her liver and there are medications that can also support kidney function and bind the toxins that build up with this disease). These wont' cure the organ issues but can certainly help slow them and give her more time.

Now unfortunately given her organ issues, you are limited with what you can safely do at home. There are no dog safe pain relief options but if she has any chance of nausea you can at least try her on a low dose of an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Afterwards, you can offer a soft light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). And if she isn't keen to eat even as you tempt her with those, then you may need to start syringe feeding these or fluids (or a liquid diet from your pet store like DogSure) to keep her getting nutrition until she can be seen and those oral issues at least addressed medically for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank-you will try to find a vet open today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Petunia,

Dr. B.