Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She has a yeast infection. Smells strong. I have minocycline

Customer Question

She has a yeast infection. Smells strong. I have minocycline here but not sure of dose for 20 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie. She is 6 & 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She has an inverted vulva
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it is important to appreciate that yeast is not sensitive to antibiotics. Therefore, you don't want to use Minocycline here as it will do no good and will likely give Sophie gut upset. Instead, if she has a skin yeast infection, we'd want to use an anti-fungal shampoo for that skin. The one we most often use for patients is Malaseb and the regular strength version is available over the counter (example). This would be much better to use for her and more effective. As well, if there are specific skin lesions, then OTC anti-fungal cream could also be used to spot treat. Of course, if she has an internal/vaginal yeast infection with profuse discharge, then you would need her local vet to dispense dog safe systemic anti-fungal medication to counter that for her. But again Minocycline would not be appropriate here and be of no benefit for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )