Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Eddie hasn't want to eat much over last 3 days. This evening

Customer Question

Eddie hasn't want to eat much over last 3 days. This evening his hind legs started to lose stength all of a sudden. He seemed to get worse thru evening. Would go outside and eat snow from deck. Then he would go down 4 stairs to grass and go pee. After about the 4 time he did this he got slower and slower and would not be able to jump onto our bed or jump off. Would wait for me to pick him up to put him down and being him up. And would gingerly go up and down the stairs outside. When laying in bed he would try to move himself for better position but struggle. Now he just laying here not moving and I hear his intestines grumbling.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: We took dog to vet today about this. He was like this a day ago and then got back lots of energy. But he was full of energy today but still ate little. Vet gave injection of antibiotics and nausea injection to see if bacterial and not eating for that reason. Not sue if legs are from
Weakness or something else.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Eddie.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Eddie showed no signs of leg weakness at vet. Just gradual thru day.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did his vet just feel that Eddie was weak or was his leg struggles thought to be neurological?

Has he eaten since they treated him?

What tests were done?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Eddie didn't show signs of weakness for vet visit or leg issues at that time. No tests were done. He threw up when he got home from vet and ate very little. He has been eating snow when he goes outside. Just a little water. Nothing neurological was discussed. Lip licking I have seen. No drooling and he only vomited the one time after his shot of cerenia and aventiclav. His gums are red and sticky. Doesn't appear to have discomfort when pressing on his belly. He was tested in August cause he started peeing in bed while sleeping. They did blood tests, ultra sound and X-ray. They found small 3mm lesion on kidney. And some level was high which they treated with antibiotics and some powders. The vet thought maybe he ate some grass in back yard that had fertilizer or other chemical. We changed his diet to something with less protein. He had lost weight. But gained back .8 kg in 3 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Eddie.

If he is eating snow, vomiting, and eating poorly; this all suggests that that Cerenia isn't getting his nausea under control. And if he isn't able to keep much if any food down, then that would drain his energy and could explain his weakness as well.

With this in mind and since Cerenia only lasts 24 hours when given by injection, we'd need to take some steps to counter that nausea. Ideally, we'd want to ring his vet for them to at least dispense an alternative anti-nausea treatment (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide). Or if they were concerned about obstructions here, then an xray may be ideal at this stage. Otherwise, you could also try an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @,)etc]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Or if we haven't seen vomiting since he first got back, you could also consider syringe feeding using a calorie rich diet (ie Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet, watered down canned puppy food). That way we can try to get some nutrition into him and counter that weakness.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and I am concerned that he is still showing signs after the Cerenia. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved again to ensure we don't have an obstruction that needs to be addressed. And if they can rule that our the further anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant should be considered to help counter this for Eddie.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. One more thing to add. When he lays chest down on his tummy. He makes adjustments with his back legs but poor adjustments. Then stands up for a bit. Can tolerate being on chest tummy more than about 2/3 minutes. Then he lays on his side and can tolerate a long period of time, say 60 plus minutes. He is sleep on our bed. Last night at 3am he stood up in our bed. Probably waiting for me to put him down. He never waits for me normally when well. I went to grab him and he jumped off and when he landed he yelped a bit. Something is causing pain. He proceed outside to eat snow and pee and came back in. Moving quite slowly. He seems to be bothered in the hind area. But at this point with out much eating cannot really know about weakness. I also noticed when he was eating over last couple weeks that he was eating more with front part of mouth. Thinking to myself now, not sure we checked his teeth for anything. Yesterday we made him chicken he would pick up food in his mouth, move it around than out it down on floor. I cut up food smaller and gave it too him but he only ate about that 1 once. Just remembered all this as I didn't get much sleeping watching over him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

You are very welcome,

If he is that uncomfortable when putting pressure on his belly region and trying not to jump down himself (which does put pressure), then that does raise concerns of discomfort generally. Gut based obstructions could cause this but pancreatitis would be another concern. So, those need to be ruled out here. And while her mouth sensitivity isn't likely directly related, we can see oral pain with dental disease or esophagitis (throat inflammation with vomiting or acid reflux) appear with eating sensitivities.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )