Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She hasn't eaten for two days and is now throwing up clear

Customer Question

She hasn't eaten for two days and is now throwing up clear liquid. Can't even get her to eat hot dogs or cheese, or her favorite treats. Checked her mouth and all teeth look ok, nothing red, no bumps or lumps or indication of mouth trouble. She will sometimes put something in her mouth but then spit it back out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is a 9 month old standard poodle, and she has had the stomach tack at the time she was spaded at five months. Has had no other health problems.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like she may just have a GI infection or Gastroenteritis. This is a common cause of vomiting +/- diarrhea in dogs.

I would treat her with some sub Q fluids under the skin, an anti-nausea med (Cerenia) and some antibiotics (Metronidazole).

If you want to try an antacid at home to settle the stomach, you can give Famotidine (Pepcid)- 10 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed. It does sound like she'll need more aggressive care, but that's something you can try at home.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is that Pepto Bismol?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

No, Pepcid is a tablet. It's an antacid. Pepto is a coating medication and more for diarrhea than vomiting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think this is something that we can treat with Pepcid until Monday to take her to vet, or do we need to go to emergency clinic tomorrow?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'd give the pepcid now and fast her (no food/ water) for 6-8 hours. At that time, offer some food/ water. If she doesn't eat or continues vomiting, then I would go to an ER vet. If she eats and keeps it down, then I would wait until Monday to get her seen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome.