Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

I am pet sitting a 3 year old Double Doodle that has

I am pet sitting a 3 year old Double Doodle that has developed swollen, red, blistered eyelids. Apparently about 3 weeks ago, he was taken to the vet, who suspected a bee sting and gave him some triple antibiotic/steroid ointment. About a week ago, it came back and the vet gave me the same medicine. After 3 days, his eyelids were worse. Took him back to the vet 2 days ago and he switched things up. Said he suspects strep or chlamydia, gave us a terramycin ointment and oral doxycycline. Bogey (the dog) has been on this treatment for 2 days and is looking worse & worse. More swelling, more blisters, now rubbing his eyes (which he had not been doing until today). My concern is that the vet seems to be throwing darts at the problem. Shouldn't he take blood, urine and/or a culture? What is my best next step?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No... healthy otherwise

Hello, this is Dr. KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just a moment...

This is definitely concerning. It sounds like this may be a case of pyogranulomatous blepharitis. This is a condition that can initially appear like an allergic reaction or bee sting, but then the inflammation worsens. It can be a sudden auto-immune condition that requires oral antibiotics and steroids. Do you have a veterinary opthalmologist in your area? I suggest taking him to a eye specialist at this point.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I will find one! Thank you for the recommendation! His parents are away and very worried... as am I. Thank you again!

You're welcome! Best of luck with Bogey!

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Awesome, very fast & knowledgeable! Thank you!!!