Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog seems to have fluid on his chest and now underneath

Customer Question

My dog seems to have fluid on his chest and now underneath between his rib cage and abdomen.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has Todd had these signs?

Do you mean there is fluid between the skin and ribs or inside the chest and abdomen?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any issues breathing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I noticed the fluidity today.There is fluid between the skin and ribs on his chest that faces out under his face. (He has always been broad in this area, as well as this area protruding more than I've had in any other dog. It was always firm there, but now it is larger and feels like a fluid sack.) The area on the underpart of his body between his ribcage and abdomen also appears the same.His gums are dark.He has always been a heavy breather but it has increased a lot this past week, although this morning it is calm.He has also had a cough periodically for a very long time (I assume it is a cough but it could be gagging). He has a sensitive stomach so we've just thought it was that. It occurs more often.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Are the gums darker for him?

Any chance of trauma or exposure to rat bait/anti-coagulants?

Has he had any diarrhea or know health issues?

Since it isn't clear what you mean by "faces out under his face", can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.