Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog chewed off the cap of a bottle of Denamarin and ate

My dog chewed off the cap of a bottle of Denamarin and ate approximately 30 tablets. She weighs less than 20 lbs. Should I make her throw it up? Or take her to the emergency vet? She's acting fine (albeit very guilty) and was excited about eating her dinner before I found the destroyed bottle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Siri - she's a 5 year old miniature schnauzer And very naughty!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Siri?
Customer: No. She's otherwise healthy. The meds were for her mom who is 12

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Thankfully, overdoses of this product are unlikely to cause significant morbidity (severity of symptoms). Gastrointestinal effects as evidenced by inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea may be seen but shouldn't need to be treated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Even at that dosage? That's about 30 times more than she should have for her weight.

Yes, even at that dosage. The silymarin and SAMe in that product are essentially nontoxic. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's great news. Thanks! I'll keep an eye on her but I'm grateful for your answer.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll do that. Thanks

I appreciate it!