Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has gotten worse and can't keep nothing down I think

Customer Question

My dog has gotten worse and can't keep nothing down I think he has parvovirus even though he got vaccine I keep giving him fluids but can't keep them down do I keep forcing it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can I wanted to let you know that if Jax is too nauseous to keep fluids down then you cannot keep forcing them. To do so risks further vomiting and could lead to dehydration and serious electrolyte imbalances quicker. And while you could try to counter his nausea with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)), your history suggests that Jax may at least need injectable anti-nausea medication from his vet to soothe his stomach +/- fluids given via IV or under the skin to give him a fighting chance if Parvo is present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anyway we can do the ivy are selves or somewhere to get it no vets are open around my area and only can get appointments which is dumb cuz it happens over night pretty much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

IV catheters need to be placed into the vein with sterile technique and that just isn't something you can do at home. So, that isn't safe for you to try and could lead to serious harm if you did. The only option for that if the local vets aren't open would be to find an ER vet via http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/. Otherwise, if a local vet or farm supply shop can supply fluids, you could give them sterily under skin at a dose of 48ml per kilogram of his weight. To see how to do this, you can watch this video HERE.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well meanwhile I look for a feed store I'm going to give him pedialite and child's pepto is that okay to do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Pepto bismol isn't advisable here. Its can cause further gut upset in vomiting cases and we don't want to slow diarrhea with it if this is parvo since that will increase time the virus is in the gut damaging it. So, the ones I noted before should be used and not that at all. Otherwise, you can try the Pedialyte, but if he vomits then you have to give him a break for a few hours to avoid doing more harm then good here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What over the counter antacid can I use
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I noted in my original reply that you can use Pepcid or Zantac. The links for doses are above.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?

Dr. B.