Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My lab's nose is puffing up after taking her outside

Customer Question

My lab's nose is puffing up after taking her outside tonight. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your quesiton, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can you please tell me how much she weighs approximately? I can help you if I have her weight.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
65 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information. What you are likely seeing is an allergic reaction to something outside. Usually we don't find the specific cause. What you need to do right now is give three 25mg benadryl (diphenhydramine) by mouth. Within an hour or two the swelling should be going down or gone. If there is no change after the 2 hours or you notice repeated vomiting or difficulty breathing then she needs to see the emergency vet for a steroid injection. In most cases the benadryl will work fine. If it does work like we expect give 2 additional doses about 12 hours apart to prevent a relapsing reaction. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan