Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

She just ate an entire nestle bag of chocolate and the local

Customer Question

She just ate an entire nestle bag of chocolate and the local vet is closed. Can I force a vomit?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Karli and she's 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karli?
Customer: She's the perfect companion I could ever ask I need her.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me:
- Her weight
- How long ago ingested
- The type of chocolate (milk, dark, white)
- The total ounces ingested

Thank you

With this ingestion, you may see mild to moderate symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy. If I were to have the exact amount I can definitely determine the level of concern and if vomiting is not induced whether a veterinary er visit is warranted to give stronger medications to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to minimize the effects of the chocolate

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I hope your dog is feeling alright and you were able to induce vomiting. I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!