Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He accidentally swallowed a tablet called cyclobenzaprine

Customer Question

He accidentally swallowed a tablet called cyclobenzaprine from off the floor it was 10 mg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if cyclobenzaprine will be able to digest that. How old is cyclobenzaprine?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cyclobenzaprine?
Customer: It's about 45 minutes since he swallowed it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Cyclobenzaprine is a human skeletal muscle relaxant but it is not used very much { if at all } in the dog.

2. Because the effects of this drug will be unpredictable one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Of course if you do not manage to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms do develop you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay. Possible symptoms could include agitation, vomiting, diarrhoea, salivation, and tremors.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cyclobenzaprine ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.