Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I noticed my dog has a sore by his hole. I know he has worms

Customer Question

I noticed my dog has a sore by his butt hole. I know he has worms I bought the dewormer home today but I am unsure if I should give it to him since his sore is by his butt. It's the weekend so no vets are open! How can I treat his sore? With antibiotics cream? He wants to keep licking it is that ok? Or should I stop him?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has he had the sore?

3- What is the name of the dewormer?

4- Can you post a picture of the sore?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is about 4 years old, the sore just showed up today. I examined his butt yesterday because I saw a worm. So I know it was not there. Safe guard is the name of the dewormer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the picture. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 15 days ago.

Friend, I am sorry you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, the sore you are seeing is a ruptured anal gland. This is not caused by the worm you saw, unrelated. Basically, what happens is that the anal gland became impacted/infected and rupture through the side of the anal sphincter. This is not a life-threatening condition but should be seen by your vet to express his anal glands and start him on prescription medication. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to make it worse. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If cost is a concerned look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter