Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Ate about. 1 cem. If frontline. Plus, Jazzy and springet

Customer Question

Ate about. 1 cem. If frontline. Plus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jazzy and springet age2 and6
JA: How old is Jazzy?
Customer: 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jazzy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you clarify for me, please, if 1 "cem" equals 1 mL of Frontline ingested? Fipronil is considered a safe insecticide with a wide safety margin. It's not systemically absorbed. (Weil, 1997) Fipronil is detected on the hair shafts but is never detected in the dermis and adipose tissue, suggesting that it is absorbed and accumulated in the sebaceous glands, from which it is slowly released via follicular ducts. It has been tested and can be used in kittens and puppies as young as 8 weeks of age. It is easily removed by bathing in the first 48 hours after application before it is absorbed into the sebaceous glands. (Weil, 1997) In toxicity studies, the application of Frontline® spray to dogs and cats at a dose five times higher than recommended for 6 months did not cause any clinical, biochemical, hematological, or cutaneous abnormalities. (Consalvi, 1996) Oral doses equal to 87 pipettes in dogs and 20 pipettes in cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting. A few skin hypersensitivity reactions have been reported, most likely to the carrier.

In ingestion studies, in a one-year study fipronil was administered daily to dogs in gelatin capsules at 0.2, 2, or 5 mg/kg. At doses of equal to or greater than 2 mg/kg several neurotoxicity signs were recorded and one animal died. The NOAEL (no observable adverse effect level) was 0.2 mg/kg/day. This implies that fipronil is well-tolerated when ingested in amounts less than 2 mg/kg (1 mg/lb).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.