Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My. Dog has a quarter size hard bump on/by his rib. Is tins

Customer Question

My. Dog has a quarter size hard bump on/by his rib. Is tins likely a fatty tumor . How concerned should I be.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you and your pup are dealing with this. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has it been there?

any changes to it?

bothered by it if you touch it?

any current meds or illness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just noticed the bumps. Does not seem to bother him. No meds or illness

ok thank you for that additional information. there is a good chance that it possible may be a fatty tumor, especially given the breed. However, there is no way to know just by feeling it. you have to take a sample and look at it under the microscope or a sample sent to the pathologist to evaluate what it is. if someone tells you by just feeling it, get a second opinion. my own dog can be first hand example of why it is important to get a sample. he has had 12 lipomas removed by me, the 13th one looked exactly the same and felt the exact same, and came back as a mast cell tumor. given his breed and being prone to cancer, I annot stress enough it is impt to get a sample and look at it under the microscope, or take a biopsy and send it to the pathologist. the other possibility could be an abscess, seroma, etc but all in all need a sample

do you have any other questions for me?

if there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a star rating at the top so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.