Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has elbow dysplasia. She is a 9-1/2 yr. old

Customer Question

my dog has elbow dysplasia. She is a 9-1/2 yr. old GSPointer, 63 lbs. and still enjoys her daily off leash walks in woods. Until recent months, she has been doing well with an occasional rimadyl on days when limp is more pronounced. When her limp became more frequent, I decided to try her on adequan injections, having finished the initial load and trying to determine what her "regular" dosing will be. It looks like that will probably be somewhere around one injection every 2-3 weeks. The adequan is definitely giving her some relief. Can I give her a buffered aspirin in between injections and are its negative health issues as bad as the rimadyl ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has she been on the rimadyl and how often would you say she gets it?

how many injections of the adequan has she received and how often?

when was her last injection?

any other meds or illness?